Best Homemade Granola Bars

Quick quiz: Which would you rather put in your mouth? Your kids’ mouths?

gbarscloseup
GRANOLA (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, CRISP RICE [RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT, MALTED BARLEY EXTRACT], WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTONSEED OILS* WITH TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL WITH NATURAL TOCOPHEROL ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, DRIED COCONUT, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN, CARAMEL COLOR, NONFAT DRY MILK), SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA EXTRACT), CORN SYRUP, CRISP RICE (RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, BARLEY MALT, SALT), INVERT SUGAR, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, GLYCERIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL*. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SORBITOL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, WATER, SOY LECITHIN, MOLASSES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), CITRIC ACID. Oats
Wheat flour
Butter
Vanilla
Honey
Baking soda

There’s way more mystery ingredients in those packaged bars than there needs to be! That’s why I’m excited to tell you about an e-book I just bought called Healthy Snacks to Go, by Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship.

This fantastic book has more than 45 recipes for healthy snacks, tips for cutting down on sugar, and specialty diet options. If you are avoiding sugar, gluten, dairy, grain, nuts—or are looking for information on raw food or soaked grains, this is the right book.

More about that later, though. On to the recipe!

gbarscloseup

Best Homemade Granola Bars

Ingredients
4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup honey
1 teaspoon baking soda

Plus add-in goodies if desired: mini chocolate chips, raisins, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, chopped dried apricots, dried cranberries, other nuts… (2 cups total)

Lightly butter a 9 x 13 pan and preheat the oven to 325 F.

Combine the butter and honey in a large bowl and mix well. (I used my KitchenAid.) Add all ingredients except the add-ins and mix until combined. Stir in the add-ins by hand.

Press the mixture into the pan. It’s a little sticky, so it helps to put a few drops of water on your hands and press the mixture in firmly.

Bake at 325 F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. They won’t look quite done, but will firm up while they cool. After they cool for about 10 minutes, you can cut them into bars.

Store at room temperature in an easily accessible container. They will be gobbled up faster than you can imagine!

As you can see, this is easier than making a batch of homemade cookies. And you can customize the recipe as much as you want! Replace 1/2 cup of butter with 1/2 cup peanut butter, add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the dry ingredients, etc.

Want more easy, super-healthy snack recipes? You can instantly download and print or save Healthy Snacks to Go right now!

There are more than 45 recipes in the new edition, for snacks like:

• Wheat Thin-style crackers
  • Fruit Roll-ups
  • Peanut Butter Kisses
  • Easy One-bowl Muffins

Besides all the recipes and tips, it includes 3 bonus sections:

• Basic Snacks Checklist
  • Soaking Grains Primer
  • Sanity-Saving Lunch Packing Tips

Give it a try—we’ve saved tons of money just by making our own granola bars. We’re trying Peanut Butter Kisses next!

This article was shared on Clever Chicks, Make Your Own Monday, Your Great Idea, Small Footprint Friday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Unprocessed Fridays, Party Wave Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Fat Tuesday, The Thrifty Home, and Wildcrafting Wednesday.

Comments

Have you ever tried to free these? I am not sure we would go through a whole batch before they would go stale. But perhaps we could freeze them individually and get them out as we need them?

Glad you like them! We’ve added in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips with the last few batches (and reduced the honey to 3/4 cup). So yummy and they satisfy my chocolate craving.

Leslie, I haven’t tried to freeze them but I’m sure if wrapped tightly they’d be fine. They don’t last long enough to freeze!

Just curious do you think other types of flour (not wheat) would work? I have Celiac Disease and cannot use wheat flour. I normally use rice flour, almond flour, or fava bean flour.

Great how you showed the difference between the commercial granola bars and your own… it is really disturbing. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

We have been buying the box you have pictured, and I have been looking for a recipe, thanks for sharing.

Stopped by from the Living Green Tuesday Link Up.

6. Anonymous says

I’m a grandma & when I know the kids are coming I’m stuck for some types of healthy treats besides fruits & store bought items, this is really easy & I’ll give it a try, having them help make them will be fun!

My last attempt at Copycat Chewy Bars was horrendous! lol. I’ve been wanting to make my own granola bars for a while now & I’m really excited to try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing this at the Tasty Tuesdays link party! I just wanted to let you know that I’ve just featured this via G+ and I’m now following you on Fb, Pinterst & Twitter!

8. Brittany says

I just made these and really enjoyed them! I made them with mixed nuts and raisins. I made these exactly as stated, but they don’t seem to be sticking together too well. When I cut through them to make the bars, the add ons seem to have fallen out. Is there something I can do differently next time to get everything to stick better? Thanks!

9. Kristina says

The key to homemade granola bars not crumbling apart, from my experience, is to let them cool for 10 minutes and then press them. I use a thick beer glass and roll/press until nothing gives. Then let them cool and cut them.

10. Sylvia says

I made these last night but substituted 1 cup coconut oil for the butter, added a teaspoon of sea salt and a teaspoon of cinnamon. They are delicious! My add ins were chocolate chips and walnuts.

11. Hilary says

I’ve made these at least a dozen times and they are great! I always make 2-3 batches at a time, cut, wrap and freeze them. I stick them in my kids’ lunch boxes and they are thawed by snack time. Thanks for the recipe!

• Hilary says

P.S. if you have a lot of dry add ins, try putting in a little more butter and/or honey so they don’t get dried out and fall apart. I don’t have this problen because I add in raisins so they add in moisture, but if you only put in chocolate and nuts, they might be too dry. Just a thought :)