Homemade Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup

When it’s 11pm, you HAVE to have chocolate milk, and there’s no syrup in the house…you have to do something. Desperate times result in delicious measures!

Adapted from the recipe in The Tightwad Gazette II.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 teaspoon water

Combine the cocoa powder and the water; stir over low heat until the cocoa dissolves.

Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Boil gently for 3 minutes, then add the salt and vanilla. Finally, stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken. Break your husband’s heart when he finds out you aren’t making brownies. Promise to make brownies tomorrow for dessert.

Pour into a clean jar, and store in the fridge. Chocolate craving satisfied!

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I’ll definitely be trying this. Chocolate milk is my recovery drink after running each morning, so I go through a lot of syrup.

• says

I’ve made a similar recipe (minus the cornstarch) multiple times. It keeps for about six months without an odd taste, but sugars do start to crystallize by the end of month one. The crystals make a crust on the bottom of the container and they don’t really mix back in well.

• Anonymous says

You could try placing the container, as long as it is heat resistant into slow boiling water to melt the crystallized sugars and reincorporate them into the syrup with some stirring.

2. Anonymous says

Thank you! Thank you! We’ve been trying to make chocolate syrup because the store-bought stuff all contains HFCS – and who knows what else?

• says

Good question! I’m still learning about canning, so I’d say you should freeze it if you end up with too much. Although is there really such a thing as too much chocolate syrup? Hee hee hee.

3. Anonymous says

Thanks for this great recipe. I haven’t had the Hershey’s syrup in a long time because of the HFCS. You’ve made my day!

• says

arrowroot powder and dairy milk equals something the consistency of snot. I don’t know if that would happen with this small amount or after the cooking process, but I would be a little wary. It would probably work fine if you are using a milk alternative to stir it into.

• says

I would imagine that if you cooked it a little longer (in the spirit of candy making) that you could just leave out the cornstarch. It would thicken by itself. Just be very careful not to burn it. Sugar burns very easily.

4. Anonymous says

i would think u could can it if u can can milk ect.. but usda might say no lol but out granparents or parents are fine and didnt even have those kind of regulations um but if canning i would do it in pressure canner

I’m going to make this tomorrow! My honey and I are both lactose intolerant and we have a hard time finding choc milk. No more buying choc in plastic bottles! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

I make this at home and keep it on hand for my granddaughters. They both prefer chocolate milk over white and will not even take a bottle unless it is chocolate. My daughter is not happy with me because now they want Grandma’s chocolate milk not the store bought she has so she has started making it at home as well.

If you add 1/4th of a teaspoon of baking soda to the chocolate mixture, you will avoid the sugar crystals. It will foam up for a minute, but stir back down after a while.

8. S. Lewis says

Hi, I was wondering why the cornstarch? I have been making my chocolate syrup similar recipe but without the cornstarch. Is there a particular reason, I mean I know cornstarch is used to thicken.

• S. Lewis says

I made this and it was delicious except for I accidentally added baking powder instead of cornstarch. I wasn’t paying attention to what container I was reaching into since I was preparing several things at once. I actually made this mistake twice into two separate recipes. However it does taste likes the bottled stuff and the baking soda didn’t give it a weird taste whatsoever. Will be using the recipe again just without the baking soda. :)