Make Glass Cleaner: Just 3 Ingredients!

Make Glass Cleaner: BrownThumbMama.com

What happens when you combine a 5-year-old playing with toothpaste and a steamy bathroom mirror?

Around here, we call it an object lesson. See that squirt bottle? Mama is not going to be cleaning this mess.

It’s easy and inexpensive to make your own window cleaner. I’ve tried a few different recipes and this one works the best. One batch costs pennies cents to make–that sure beats store brand Windex at $2.39!
glasscleaner

Ingredients:
1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Pour into a clean squirt bottle and fill with tap water.

Hand the bottle to your minion and send him to the nearest dirty mirror.

If you’re lucky, he might get motivated enough to wash more stuff.

Watch as your bathroom becomes sparkly clean! Or less of a biohazard, at least.

Now if I could just get him to mop the kitchen, I’d be in business…

Comments

I’m not comfortable with the toxic fumes from ammonia, so I use vinegar instead of the ammonia and rubbing alcohol in your recipe. Works better than the store bought cleaner, for sure!

2. Anonymous says

A better recipe is 1 cup water, 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. NO ammonia needed. I’ve been using this recipe for years.

Ammonia is very hard on the lungs. Everytime my mother used ammonia to clean, she ended up with such lung congestion that it took weeks to get over it and many trips to the doctor. I would not let a young child near it.

4. Anonymous says

I use your recipe plus old newspaper flyers and it works great! No streaks and doesn’t leave your house smelling like french fries after:D

Everyone in the UK knows there is only one way to clean windows…… Vinegar water and a dot of washing up liquid, then rub it on with newspaper and dry it off with more dry newspaper.

6. Hilde Tipton says

Glad someone mentioned using newspaper. This is the way we cleaned all the glass in the house back in the 60s – vinegar, water, and newspaper.