How to Keep Your Toddler From Unzipping Her Pajamas

Keep Your Toddler From Unzipping Her Pajamas: BrownThumbMama.com

Dear Footy Pajama Companies:
I appreciate everything you’ve done to keep my babies toasty warm over the years. However, I have an question for your Footy Pajama Scientists, whom I suspect know NOTHING about children.

As you know, infant pajamas have a nifty flap over the zipper to keep it hidden from curious fingers.

Keep Your Toddler From Unzipping Her Pajamas: BrownThumbMama.com

However, as soon as baby reaches toddler stage (with all the curiosity and fine motor skills that entails), the magic flap is gone.

Keep Your Toddler From Unzipping Her Pajamas: BrownThumbMama.com

What the HECK were you thinking?
Signed,
Mama

Can you guess what caused this rant? Yep–Little Peanut unzipped her jammies and was naked as a jaybird in her crib this morning. Cute, perhaps. But the potential for a poo-finger-painting disaster cannot be ignored. I had to find a safe way to keep her pajamas on.

Some people suggested pinning a safety pin across the top of the zipper to block the mechanism. It would be hard for her to get a safety pin undone, but why chance it? I needed something that couldn’t hurt her, wouldn’t piss us off irritate us during a middle-of-the-night diaper change, and that wouldn’t involve me buying her a bunch of new jammies.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the finest in toddler-proof technology. Soft, comfy, and already in her PJ drawer:

Keep Your Toddler From Unzipping Her Pajamas: BrownThumbMama.com

Yep, that’s exactly what it looks like. Slip a t-shirt over those footy pajamas and the zipper is hidden once again! You can easily unzip for diaper changes, and there isn’t a safety pin in sight.

Additional bonus: the cute tee covers up the fact that she’s wearing Jackjack’s hand-me-down tractor jammies. It might be a little harder to disguise the dinosaur ones, though.

This post was shared on Your Green Resource, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Small Footprint Friday, Party Wave Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, The Thrifty Home and Make Your Own Monday.

Comments

When a young couple in our small group was having this problem with their toddler, my husband suggested that they cut the feet off the footy pajama and then put it on backwards, zipper in back. It worked.

• says

That’s a great idea too! I’m hoping to keep them intact so I can donate them to our local food bank. Families in their parenting classes can shop for kids clothes for free!

The clothing companies probably assume that all kids are potty training at the same time and that the child should be able to unzip their own clothing to use the toilet. NOT!

In a child’s defense, I hated footie pajamas when I was a kid because my feet would get too hot. So I love Carol’s suggestion – just cut the darn things off!

That’s a great idea! My toddler is in backwards pjs right now. We just twist the feet forward and it works great. He gets so mad since he loves being nakies! :) I forgot to tell my mom to put them on backwards when they were having a sleepover and she had to clean a poop everywhere incident. Poor grandma! haha. Gotta love our curious kids!

Ha. Yeah We have tried this. Sadly, my toddler has has managed to take her shirt off( and pants, and socks, and any other possible inhibitor of nudity) as well. The little buggers!

That’s what I did with my daughter! However, then she started still figuring out how to get out of it all, so we ordered the PJs online that have the zipper in the back. They are wonderful! So soft and durable with great footies on them!

We have been using expensive diapers for our baby since her birth . One time when the shipment got a little late, we had to use Honest diapers and my wife really liked them and ever since we stayed with Honest.
    honest diaper

What a brilliant idea! My son is now three. When he was 1 1/2 -2 he started unzipping his footed pjs. We had many morning where I would wake up to “poop art”. I called them poopcapades. ugh. So we just switched to shirts and pants at night. For some reason he doesn’t try to take them off.

Erica

8. Jenn says

I have twin daughters who cannot be contained in their pajamas. We’ve tried everything. Finally found that The Children’s Place has zip up one piece jammies with no feet. Got those, put them on the girls backwards – success…until one figured out how to unzip the other’s. Now we have a new conundrum – off go the jammies, off goes the “insurance” (a snap crotch onesie underneath) and rrrrriiiipppp…there goes the diaper. So far, there have not been any poop incidents as a result – but I am at a loss. I will try the shirt over the jammies tonight!

• says

You have a couple of very smart girls! When you think you might lose your mind from the shenanigans–remember how successful they will be as adults, because they’re so smart. Great problem solvers!