The Impossible Task of Buying Clothes for Little Girls

Buying Clothes for Little Girls: BrownThumbMama.com

Everybody knows that I’m not a girly-girl, right? These fingers haven’t seen a manicure in years, and I’d rather be in the garden than sitting under a dryer in foils to get my color “just right.”

While that’s the path I’ve chosen for myself, I want Little Peanut to make her own decisions. Blaze her own trail, ya know. Embrace her girly-girl if that’s what she wants.

In that spirit, I moseyed over to Target to pick up some shorts for her. Maybe something pink, with sparkles, Hello Kitty…I dunno. This is what I found:

The Impossible Task of Buying Clothes for Little Girls: BrownThumbMama.com

Um….excuse me?!? Kids’ clothing designers? I already took you to task about footy pajamas. Apparently now we need to talk about little girls’ shorts.

I got no problem with the ruffles.
I got no problem with the stripes.

But for Heaven’s sake, how about an extra couple of inches in the length?!?

Yes, I know I’m ranting. I know she’s a little, innocent girl and shorty-shorts are “cute.” But it’s just not going to fly around here.

I’m sure she can blaze her own trail and embrace her girly-girl while wearing boys’ shorts.

The Impossible Task of Buying Clothes for Little Girls: BrownThumbMama.com
No paparazzi, please!
Do you have clothing standards for your little girls? What are they?

This article was shared on Thank Goodness It’s Monday.

Comments

I am with you and sadly it only gets worse as the get older! My 13 yr old girl has no shorts yet this year because i want more of her covered than half her behind! I

Yes! I don’t like to put my daughter in anything with no sleeves or spaghetti straps (for sun protection as well as modesty.) I don’t want any writing across her bottom. If she wears a short dress, she has long bloomers underneath. For the summer, she usually wears pedal pusher length stretchy pants and t-shirts or dresses. I love having a four year old, and want her to be a little girl and dress like a little girl. As I re-read this, I feel like my inner prude is coming out… Oh well.

My girls ( twins) are now 21 and hate how little the shorts are. As my daughter says “Your butt hanging out is not a pretty sight.” They have started looking for jeans in thrift stores and cutting them .

I’m with you! We shop almost exclusively at thrift stores for my girls, from the littlest (age 6) to the oldest (age 18). That’s the only place we can find longer shorts! And don’t get me started on dresses. Or swimsuits…

I am so totally with all of you on this! I have been struggling with this for quite a while. My daughter is 10 (almost 11) and we have such a hard time finding modest clothing for her. I’m glad to know there are other moms out there who have the same ideals I do. I don’t like the writing on the rear, the short shorts, or the spaghetti strap or low cut shirts.

I am with you on this, I try to look for shorts for my 11 year old daughter, ones that are not made for strippers. Not a chance! In general all the styles for girls are way overboard.

I have a 17 year old boy, so I don’t worry about his clothes. He’s pretty conservative, anyways. My 9 year old niece gets a lot of clothes from thrift stores, too, because that’s the only place to find longer shorts. Her mom has the same ‘no writing on the bottom’ rule, as well.

Alana, above, please don’t call it your “inner prude.” A prude takes secret satisfaction in prurience, a good mother simply wants to protect her children from stuff they don’t need to hurt by. I have a very cute but shy 16 yo boy who gets extra attention from girls, and he told me, “I don’t know where to look!” And I believe the girls are innocent and think everybody has to dress that way or be a dork. Thank goodness for parents who can give their kids the courage to be different!!!

I don’t have children yet butI am pregnant with twins. Trying to find maternity shorts has been impossible. No I don’t want my bottom, belly, or cleavage hanging out for all to see. If I have little girls it will definitely be handmade things for them to protect their innocence.

Oh, I hear you! My daughter is 8 and has pretty much worn skirts or dresses all summer because I couldn’t find decent length shorts at a store. I bought one pair at Wal-Mart and actually added fabric to the bottom of each leg because they were so short!

It’s horrifying, isn’t it?! Especially since that’s ALL THERE IS. I don’t understand why you would dress little girls like that. The shorts are so short they don’t even have an actual inseam!

My dd is almost 9, but wears a size 7-8 and is so slim going up a size for length is a waistline disaster. Finding appropriate clothes (shorts to the fingertips, skirts to the knee) is a constant battle. Some of the skirts are so short you can’t even get a decent pair of shorts underneath them!

The grandmother bought my little one some clothes from Gymboree. The shorts were unbearably short and the shirt had a huge cutout in the back. I’ve debated back and forth whether I should let her wear it. It is really cute on the front, but half my kid’s back is exposed. Aye yi yi. Those boy shorts look adorbs on your girl…I’ll have to keep my eyes open for them when shopping.

I’m not a fan of shorts for any age – my dd wears skirts with built-in shorts when the weather is very hot, otherwise it’s slacks (I’d still prefer them longer than they make them, but I make my clothing choices in the parameters of what the thrift-store offers). I don’t want to put her in anything now that I wouldn’t want her to wear at 16.

But, I went shopping for pan*ties when she was nearly 3 (coming fresh from diapers)- and there was a huge selection of bik*inis! for Three Year Olds! I truly don’t get it. WHO would put their baby in something like that?

When my little girl was a toddler I would buy her boys clothes for this very reason! I would buy iron-on decals to decorate them with or sew on pretty ribbons, etc. Now that she’s 7, she cares a lot more about what she wears so I can’t get away with buying her boys clothes now. I hate that all the shorts are little bitty booty shorts and crop tops?! UGH!!! Why can’t we just let little kids be kids?
    ~Kelsy

I agree, My girl is 3. I have made my own cloths for her, or with dresses I buy I size bigger so that it is past her knees. I have also shortened the boy shorts for her size (the ones I have found are odd shaped) and thanks to crafts stores I have ironed or sewed on girly patches. I see them in the store on cloths why not do it ourselves? I think it is sad how hard it is to find decent female cloths, in all ages.

Learn how to sew!!!! I am sorry, I know my hobby is not for everyone, but seriously, it is so much fun! And when you stick to very basic patterns and just work with cotton, it is fun and rewarding. If you pay attention to sales you do not have to spend an arm and a leg. I had a lot of fun this summer making shorts for my 10 year old. My 13 yr old also found some cute shorts at JC Penny’s that were long-ish and look very cute. I saw a great book title the other day that fits perfectly here: “Being a Hepburn in a Hilton World”-keep trying to be a Hepburn!!!

19. Jaime says

With three nieces, I’ve been struggling with cute but shall we say – age appropriate – clothing choices for years now. The ever growing trend to dress little girls like adult women – and more than that – sexy adult women – just bothers me. There is nothing wrong with wanting to dress little ones in something cute and pretty – it just doesn’t have to be associated with a much more adult perspective. I’ve heard people say things like “Oh, it’s so innocent on them!” My personal opinion is that we certainly don’t live in an innocent world. In any case, I had good luck in finding cute things at Target for a while – but that’s gotten harder recently. Sewing your own – or altering existing pieces – seems like the only choice for now…