This is one of our favorite summer meals. Teriyaki chicken on the barbecue with stir-fried veggies and rice–and it can be on the table in just a few minutes.
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup sugar or 3/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon grated ginger (2t for extra zing)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup mirin (sweet cooking sake)
Combine all ingredients and heat gently until sugar dissolves. Keeps in fridge for about a week or freezes indefinitely (it won’t freeze solid due to the sugar content).
Admittedly, I’m a bit of a teriyaki junkie. Here are some of the ways we use it:
- Marinade chicken or steak (put teriyaki in ziplok before freezing and it will marinade as it thaws)
- Brush on salmon at the end of grilling
- Splash in with shrimp for a stir-fry
- Brush on veggie shishkabobs before grilling
- On a pile of rice for a late-night snack
What’s your favorite teriyaki application? Share with us (as our mouths water) in the comments!