Sure, it all starts innocently enough. You have a bumper crop of strawberries and figure it can’t be too hard to make some strawberry jam. (FYI: strawberry jam is a gateway drug.)
Then–before you know it–you’re canning salsa and making pickles. And dreaming of a pressure canner. Oh, and an outdoor canning kitchen.
You’ve been warned! Here are 15 ways you can tell if you’re a crazy canner:
- As soon as the garden is planted, you start dreaming of all the jams, salsas, and pickles you’re going to make this year.
- Everyone asks why you have bungee cords full of rings in your pantry, like Mel does at Faulk Farmstead.
- Your kids use lids for Nerf gun target practice.
- You can tell the age of a Ball jar by the script on its logo.
- Jars and rings are organized by size and type in bins, like Theresa’s from Living Homegrown.
- Even though you spent all winter juicing lemons from your lemon tree, you still buy bottled lemon juice.
- You hit every garage sale and estate sale looking for vintage jars to add to your collection.
- You have at least one Pinterest board entirely about canning recipes.
- When the pressure canner gets up to pressure and a rainstorm comes in, you just hold an umbrella over the canner and keep going…like Cheryl from Pasture Deficit Disorder.
- You can debate for hours on the merits of Tattler lids vs. Ball/Jarden lids.
- Same with Ball jars vs. Weck jars.
- You were more excited about the revised Ball Blue Book than your kids were about Harry Potter.
- You’ve made a “memory” game for the toddler by putting pictures on old lids.
- The thought of spending the entire day cooking down tomatoes to make 4 jars of sauce sounds incredibly appealing.
- The sound “Ping! Ping! Ping!” is more beautiful to you than the finest symphony.
Are you a crazy canner? Tell us your symptoms in the comments!